Is that gemstone shining on your finger real? Are lab created diamonds real diamonds? Read on to know more.
The breathtaking beauty of diamonds is world-renowned. Its sparkling charm has fascinated admirers since times unknown. Of course, you’d know that diamonds form naturally. We find them in earth’s crust. And it takes billions of years of high pressure and temperature for a stone to become a diamond.
But what if I were to tell you that we can grow diamonds in a lab, too! Yes, that’s true. You can grow diamonds in a lab. That too, without compromising on quality. Lab-created diamonds have the same physical properties and chemical composition as natural diamonds!
Man Made Diamonds – What are lab created Diamonds?
Lab-created diamonds or synthetic diamonds differ from naturally mined diamonds, only in one aspect. And that sole difference is its origin. Lab diamonds are man-made and grown in a lab. They’re also known as synthetic diamonds or engineered or cultured diamonds.
How are lab created diamonds made?
Manufacturers make lab-created diamonds in a lab under a highly controlled environment with advanced technology.
Manufacturers grow Man-Made diamonds from tiny carbon seeds of existing natural diamonds. Natural conditions which form a natural diamond are imitated in a lab. This results in the arrangement of carbon molecules in the same crystalline structure as of natural diamonds. Hence, the quality and appearance of synthetic diamonds are the same as natural diamonds. (Source)
There are two methods to make diamonds in a lab.
HPHT (High pressure, high temperature)
In this technique, manufacturers imitate the natural conditions for forming a natural diamond. Further, manufacturers apply extreme pressure and heat to tiny carbon seeds of existing natural diamonds. As a result, they are able to produce lab-diamonds of equal quality and look.
CVD (Chemical Vapor Deposition)
It is another method of making diamonds in a laboratory. This process involves breaking molecules of a carbon-rich gas, such as methane into carbon or hydrogen. Further, the manufacturers assemble molecules on diamond seeds of existing natural diamonds. Finally, this helps them to grow into a shiny, sparkling synthetic diamond.
Lab-grown diamonds are nearly impossible to tell apart from natural diamonds. There is some difference in certain trace elements of natural diamonds and man-made diamonds. However, this variation is hardly visible. Moreover, even the most skilled gemologists need a keen eye and cutting-edge tools to make out these slight differences.
All lab diamonds are all GIA grading system approved. Cut, clarity, colour and carat, also known as the 4Cs, determine the purity and quality of lab diamonds. So, yes they’re authentic.
Man Made Diamonds Vs Real
Now, you must be wondering why synthetic diamonds and not natural ones. Don’t get me wrong! But lab-grown diamonds are as real as a natural one. In fact, these diamonds are worthy alternatives to natural diamonds. The only difference is its origin. Many diamond admirers are leaning towards lab diamonds jewellery rather than natural diamonds. And that’s not for no reason.
Read our blog on lab-grown diamonds vs real: https://www.fabulously.in/blog/lab-diamonds-vs-real-diamonds
Where to Buy Man Made Diamonds
Many brands are now choosing to use man-made diamonds instead of their natural counterparts. The top 3 brands that use only the lab created diamonds are:
Lark & Berry
A luxury jewellery brand produces one of the best man-made diamonds UK. They create high quality yet sustainable jewellery pieces that are affordable by all. Because they use 100% traceable lab-created diamonds, you know exactly where they came from.
Taylore and Hart
If you want to buy man-made diamond rings, Taylor and Hart is your brand. Their rings are environmental-friendly, sustainable and aesthetically beautiful.
This brand ensures that all of the gold used in the jewellery is 100% recyclable. Man-made diamond rings, beautiful bracelets and other custom-made creations are some popular products.
Why lab created diamonds?
Lab-created diamonds need no mining. Unlike natural diamonds, lab created diamonds do not take ages to form. All it takes is a couple of months. Further, a man-made diamond has the same physical, chemical, and optical properties as a natural diamond. This means that the quality and configuration of lab-grown diamonds is as real as in natural diamonds.
Lab-created diamonds have certain advantages over natural diamonds. For starters, they’re ethically sourced. Also, they’re made in an eco-friendly way.
So, now let’s see the advantages of man-made diamonds over natural diamonds.
Benefits of lab created diamonds
- Lab diamonds do not need billions of years to form. Instead, these take just 1-2 months to become a fully grown diamond.
- Mining of natural diamonds raises many concerns. Poor wages, harsh working conditions, health concerns, etc., are some of the inhumane practices associated with mining. However, lab-grown diamonds avoid all this. They’re made in an eco-friendly manner. Unlike natural diamonds, lab-created diamonds do not disturb the geology or ecology. Further, mineral wastage is another trait of natural mining, which does not occur while making lab diamonds.
- Many natural diamonds which are too rare to find can be easily made in a lab.
- These are 30% cheaper than natural diamonds.
- Lab diamonds can be custom made. They can be easily fixed to gold or platinum settings to make fancy jewellery. Such diamonds can be crafted into fine and trendy ornaments. The scope of lab-created diamonds has expanded to a great degree in recent times. One can customize them and use to decorate all kinds of things. Belts, bags, cars, watches, etc. are just a few examples of items. Moreover, you can adorn all these items with lab-created diamonds.
Some More Benefits
- Lab-created diamonds come in white, yellow, blue, pink, green and orange. They come in many shapes like Round, Oval, Cushion, Princess, Pear, Emerald, Marquise, Asscher, Radiant and Heart. So, you get many options to choose from.
- The source of lab-grown diamonds is credible. You can find records of its origin. Further, these are easily traceable. And you cannot disapprove their existence. Whereas, natural diamonds do not guarantee transparency. A lot of factors like locality and transportation could misinform the true origin and source of natural diamonds.
Although natural diamonds have been the first choice of diamond lovers for the last century or so. Lab diamonds have become a trusted alternative in recent decades. More and more consumers are leaning towards lab-grown diamonds. And why wouldn’t they!
Lab-created diamonds have everything a natural diamond has. There’s no real difference as such, apart from how they’re made. You get the same quality and beauty for a much lesser price than natural diamonds. Apart from that, synthetic diamonds also guarantee a safe source of manufacturing. If you’re a diamond lover but environmentally conscious as well then man-made diamonds are the perfect choice for you.
So, to recap quickly, lab diamonds are cheaper, abundant and equally elegant as natural diamonds. If you’re planning to buy one, it better be a man-made diamond.
Lab-diamonds aren’t fake, and if it were, the fake would be the new real.