Worried about the sheen of your symbol of love? Want to know how to clean your White Gold Jewelry? Want to know what cleans white gold?
Well, the essence of women seems incomplete without jewelry. And when it comes to women’s jewelry, one cannot miss out on White Gold. Be it a proposal ring or a wedding ring, or a classy necklace to adorn a neckline, white gold is a top choice for women. However, as precious as it seems, white gold jewelry demands special care. This is probably because white gold catches dirt pretty quickly. So, read on the blog to know how to clean white gold jewelry.
Let us know everything about While Gold Jewelry before we delve into jewelry cleaning.
WHAT IS WHITE GOLD?
White gold is an alloy of gold. It is made up of pure gold mixed with alloy metals that have a silvery-white colour, such as palladium and silver.
WHY IS IT MIXED WITH ALLOY METALS?
For all gold jewelry, pure gold has to be mixed with harder metals for added durability and strength. On its own, pure gold is very soft. Without the harder alloy metals, pure gold would easily bend out of shape. Hence, alloy metals are added to keep gold rigid. In the case of white gold, silvery-coloured alloys are used to create the desired white colour. (Source)
HOW DO I CLEAN WHITE GOLD?
White gold consists of yellow gold mixed with white metals. Also, these are covered with a rhodium plating to hide the yellowish colour of the resulting alloy. Maintaining any white gold piece is a bit trickier compared to caring for a diamond ring made of yellow gold or platinum.
HOW TO CLEAN WHITE GOLD ENGAGEMENT RING?
As said, white gold jewelry requires special care. Because of its composition, caring for while gold rings is not just about cleaning them. But it is also about preserving their rhodium coating. In order to maintain the lustre and grace of your precious white gold, follow the below steps:
- Prepare a cleaning solution by mixing mild dish soap and warm water. Avoid using any kind of detergents as they contain chlorine & other harsh chemicals.
- Soak your jewelry in the solution for at least 20-30 minutes.
- Gently rub the jewelry using a soft cloth or a brush to remove any dirt.
- Now, remove all the soapy residue by keeping the piece under running tap water.
- Dry the white gold piece with a polishing cloth.
NOTE: If the piece is really dirty, try adding several drops of ammonia to the cleaning solution. You can also a mild jewelry cleaner to clean the white gold jewelry.
HOW TO CLEAN WHITE GOLD JEWELRY MADE WITH GEMSTONES?
Certain white gold jewelry pieces are embellished with gemstones like diamond, emerald, etc. In such cases, dipping the jewelry in the cleaning solution isn’t recommended. Instead, you can follow these steps:
- Dip a soft piece of cloth in soapy water.
- Rub the metal parts of the ring gently.
- Clean the gemstones by wiping them carefully with a damp cloth.
EVERYDAY JEWELRY CARE TIPS
So, now you know how to clean white gold jewelry. While cleaning is crucial, one must take care of white gold pieces also when wearing them. Here are a few ways:
- Take off your white gold jewelry when you’re performing household chores like cleaning, washing clothes, etc. These tasks can take a toll on your jewelry. You can also wear gloves to protect your jewelry while doing such tasks.
- Do not ever clean your white gold with harsh chemicals that can ruin white gold jewelry include: bleach and other harsh chemicals.
- Take off your white gold jewelry when applying lotions or makeup on your body. Lotions and makeup can easily dirty your jewelry. Also, some of the chemical present in lotion or makeup products can slowly eat away the rhodium plating making it look dull/yellow.
- Do not wear your white gold jewelry when in the pool. The chlorine water can damage the jewelry coating making it lose its shine. You may also lose it while swimming.
- Since Rhodium fades with everyday wear, you should have your white gold jewelry re-plated every six months.
- Do not wear a scratched jewelry piece. Instead, bring scratched white gold piece to the jewelers. He would either re-plate it or polish it to smooth out any abrasions.
It’s important to take care of your jewelry as it has tremendous sentimental value. Hence, follow the above tips to clean your jewellery regularly. However, if you’re ever in doubt, do yourself a favour and seek professional advice.
For more interesting jewellery blogs, visit Fabulously.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How to clean a white gold diamond ring with Windex?
Place the jewellery and squirt it with Windex. Allow it to sit with the cleaner on it about for 30 seconds. Take a baby toothbrush and scrub the jewellery piece gently. Rinse it with warm water. Dry with a clean, soft towel.
Can you clean white gold with coke?
No, it is not a good idea to clean your white gold with coke. The acid in Coke can tarnish your ring.
How to Clean White Gold that has turned Yellow?
There’s no way than recoating to get back your white gold shine that has already turned yellow. However, you can still keep it dirt-free by cleaning it with baking soda and water. Just prepare a paste of baking soda and little water and rub your white gold turned yellow ring with a brush. Rinse it with a stream of gentle warm water. Dry with a soft cloth.
How to clean white gold diamond ring at home?
You can clean your white gold diamond rings at home by following these simple steps:
- Soak your white gold ring in a mixture of soap and water for 10-15 minutes.
- Form a paste by mixing baking soda and some water. Apply the paste to ring and scrub it with a brush gently.
- Rinse your ring under a stream of warm water.
- Dry it with a soft cloth.
How to clean white gold chain?
Place your white gold chain in warm water and leave it in there for 15 to 20 minutes. Now, add some water to a cloth and gently rub the chain with it to remove any dirt or oil. Rinse it with warm water once you’re done. Dry it with a soft cloth.
How to clean a white gold necklace?
You can use a paste of baking soda and water to clean a white gold necklace. Simply apply the paste on the necklace and rub it gently with a brush. Rinse in warm water and dry it with a soft cloth.
I had no idea that I can use so simple products like baking soda and foil in order to clean my tarnished jewelry.Thank you a lot for sharing this unique cleaning recipe!